Wednesday 18 May 2011

Maria Filopoulou



Bather III (oil on canvas)



Maria Filopoulou was born in Athens in 1964. She studied painting in Paris
at the ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts under Leonardo Cremonini during the period 1984 - 88. Continued with postgraduate studies at the same school, with a French Government scholarship, during the period 1988 - 89 (lithography under Abrahad Hadad). Her works are to be found in the National Gallery, in the Greek Parliament, and in private museums and collections in Greece and abroad.






Underwater swimmers I (oil on canvas)







Underwater swimmer I (oil on canvas)




" I paint to express myself, and to create a sense of personal freedom and space.
I observe the visible, and present my own reality. Despite the constraints of the canvas, which allow me only two dimensions to work with, I am still able to create horizons that open up spaces, full of enchantment. I lose myself in the adventure of painting, among the ideas and pathways that my imagination summons up for me. The adventure is self-knowledge, and I am always hungry to know more, and to paint more. "







Boat (oil on canvas)






Ancient pool, Hierapolis (oil on canvas)





Maria Filopoulou



" The colours and the strong light are aspects of my preoccupations. When I paint, I ignore the edges of the canvas extending beyond it onto the wall or the floor. I have an obsession for fitting everything into the work, even myself. I want to feel that I am in the picture, an actual part of it. This for me is a truly liberating experience. 
The unique qualities of freedom, and the freedom associated with rhythm and breathing are contrasts that provide my painting with a source of energy. Each piece of work is a new adventure with an ending that cannot be anticipated."



















* The informations about the artist and her work were taken from www. mariafilopoulou.com


No comments: